Core English at AE Tuition
All children preparing for the 11+ at AE Tuition are put through a core English programme. This involves children covering the following important topics:
- Spelling and vocabulary covering the dictionary and contextual meaning of over 5,000 words.
- Synonyms, antonyms and homonyms.
- Grammar and syntax.
- Close activity in context (inserting the correct word in a passage) and in words (inserting missing letters in words).
- Comprehension skills and practice.
There are five important reasons for our policy:
- CEM 11+ exams require a mastery of basic English skills, including comprehension.
- SATs levels in English will be improved.
- Grammar schools require excellent English – children going to grammar schools with higher English skills will be placed in the top sets.
- The range of grammar options – at the beginning of the tuition process we advise parents to be open-minded about grammar schools they may wish to apply for (some schools require English). The many possible options will be fully discussed at the Parents’ Evening.
- Improving reading and comprehension skills is useful for all other subject areas as children are more able to interpret and understand question material.